The Field Practicum
This class enables students seeking a criminal justice degree work with the HCSO. Students gain an opportunity to learn about the realities of law enforcement work, while the HCSO gains an opportunity to actively recruit interested and qualified individuals that have a desire to work in the field.
Students participating in the Practicum Package will participate in the following manner:
- 2 ride-alongs with Patrol Division (16 hours)
- 1 working day with Community Policing (8 hours)
- 1 working day with CID (8 hours)
- 1 working day at the DC – DC Tour (8 hours)
- 1/2 Day with Admin Services – Records (4 hours)
- 1/2 Day with Court Services (4 hours)
- 1/2 Day with Youth Services (4 hours)
- 1/2 day with Animal Control (4 hours)
- 1 working day with Media Relations (8 hours)
- 1 working day attending Court Traffic and Criminal (8 hours)
TOTAL Hours with HCSO - 72
Requirements and Application
Participation in The Field Practicum requires the student to be enrolled in a college or university and working towards a degree related to criminal justice. The student will be required to complete the Intern Application and have a letter submitted by their college or university stating this is a requirement for graduation. The paper work will be sent to the Harford County Sheriff's office Training Academy 45 S. Main St. Bel Air, Maryland 21014 Attn: Education and Training Manager.
In addition, we have internship opportunities in for students pursuing a career in Communications. Those interested should follow the same application process.
Let us help you get started!
Call or email us: